Become a Sustainability Intern!
Join a team of high-achieving, environmentally-focused undergraduate students as an intern at UConn’s sustainability office! The OS hires interns during the spring semester, with work beginning in the fall semester (summer if desired) and continuing throughout the academic year.
- Must be a current first-year or a second-year student pursuing a bachelor's degree at UConn
- A minimum GPA of 3.2
- An interest in the environment, sustainability and their interactions with society
- Demonstrated peer leadership and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for interacting professionally with faculty, staff, and students
- Commitment to learning and continuous improvement
- Self starter
- Ability to work in a team
- Positive attitude, adaptability, enthusiasm, professionalism, and patience
- Interns are paid an hourly rate ($15.50/hr to start) and work 8-12 hours per week during UConn business hours (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM Mon-Fri)
- Occasional paid evening and weekend events
- Office continuity is vital to our success. We value dedicated and reliable interns, who will earn increased responsibilities and leadership roles as they gain experience and effectiveness working in the OS.
Job assignments are varied, but we strive to match students with projects that align with their strengths and career interests. Some examples include:
- Researching, analyzing, and summarizing best environmental practices at peer institutions on topics ranging from Energy & Buildings, to Climate Change, Environmental Justice, Waste Reduction & Diversion, Outreach & Engagement, Water Resources, Food & Dining, Purchasing, Transportation, Grounds, Open Space & Conservation and more, in order to develop and improve sustainability programs at UConn
- Coordinating with other departments to implement ongoing campus sustainability outreach activities and annual events, such as EcoMadness, Earth Day Spring Fling, Green Game Day
- Identify and pursue opportunities to advance environmental justice at UConn
- Assisting with meetings of the University's Environmental Policy Advisory Council (EPAC) and its workgroups – this includes meeting preparations, presentations, notes, and identifying and following up on action items
- Working with any workgroup, committee or task force, and/or supervisory staff to carry out the University’s strategic sustainability plans
- Assisting with sustainability publications such as the OS's newsletter and biennial sustainability progress report
- Coordinating the efforts of student volunteers participating in campus sustainability activities and events
- Compiling UConn's annual greenhouse gas inventory, and tracking and reporting about progress toward UConn’s Climate Action Plan and carbon-neutrality goals
- Researching, preparing and updating content for the Office of Sustainability website, blog, and social media
- Tracking UConn’s performance on key campus sustainability indicators, drafting environmental progress reports, and responding to surveys (such as AASHE STARS) and questions about UConn’s environmental practices
How to Apply:
- We post on JobX mid-Spring semester. The application for '23/'24 is now closed.
- For more information on internships with the Office of Sustainability, email email@example.com with “Sustainability Internship” in the subject line.