Meet our Newest Intern: Alexander Samalot

Hi everyone, my name is Alex Samalot, the newest Intern at the Office of Environmental Policy. I am a Junior Undergraduate Environmental Engineering Student. I first heard about the Internship through a friend in the office, Eric Grulke. After a series of jobs unrelated to my studies, ranging from farm work to landscaping and even making burritos, I decided that as an upperclassman it was time to seek out real applied experience in the environmental field.

My major and academic work is focused on how things move through each other. This could be anything from how pollution moves through air, water and soil, to how money flows through lenders, investors and customers. In the classroom I am working or completed physics, chemistry and calculus, and outside of class I have been fortunate enough to begin to work on controlling theses flows and seeing them in large scale.

I recently finished a tour of three New York City buildings. Two were passive house certified apartment complexes which used the newest insulation techniques and building methods to create very energy efficient buildings. The third was a house renovated using recycled building materials as well as the control the storm water, an ongoing problem in NYC. By enhancing natural processes that filter move and store water, the engineers allowed the owner to successfully disconnect his water flow from the storm water collection grid. All three were impressive feats of air and water control and it was inspiring to see in person.

So far, at the OEP I have recently finished a tour of the newly retro commissioned Agriculture Biosciences Building and sat in on the meeting describing the changes they are doing to the buildings on campus. I look forward to working on the Green Parking initiative as well as the Climate Action Plan and composting initiative.

I look forward to meeting you all and working in the Office of Environmental Policy. The experience I gain here will be very helpful for my goal of becoming an Environmental Engineer. I am also excited to work on the UConn Campus learning how to make my current surroundings have less of an impact on the environment.